Tuesday, October 24, 2006

why isn't it as obvious to everyone else as it is to us?

So this past Saturday night I discovered just how much my mom doesn't get the whole "church" thing. Not even a little bit. I guess it's just so ingrained in her for so long that she is shutting down in those conversations, tuning it out? I don't know, but it was really sad, and to be honest I was a little shocked at how far back there she is. Saturday Barry called and wanted her to be in the nursery since she wasn't scheduled to sing. None of us were planning to go because she wasn't scheduled to sing, and I hadn't gotten to spend any time with Dad the whole weekend, so we were going to have some family time before I had to leave that afternoon (like 12).Well, Barry was rather p-oed, so Mom had to go around repeating it to everyone all day (really just Dad and like one other person who called, but that's a lot of times to tell a story that has nothing to do with anything, but you all know how my mom is. . .she likes to do that sort of thing). Well, anyway, she was talking to Dad on the phone while Mom and I were at Swanky Taco (mmmm), and she was telling him the Barry story and then she said, "it's not like we're skipping church, we'll go do house church tomorrow night" (emphasis mine). Wow. That makes me sad. I knew she didn't get it totally, but this shows she doesn't get it at all. . . . So this brings up my my title, "why is this so obvious to us, but some people just don't get it?" It's not like we haven't explained it thoroughly. How many weeks have we spent on "what is a church?" I don't know what more we can do. I really want her to understand; not just understand on an intellectual level, but to embrace it and live it on all levels, holistically. I didn't say anything on Saturday because it just wasn't the time or place; it wouldn't have gone over well and it wouldn't have done any good. It's frustrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home